Jobcenter Logo
HomepageRight ArrowFinancial HelpRight ArrowCitizen's IncomeRight ArrowStandard benefit & application

Standard benefit & application

The so-called standard benefit comprises the amount that is transferred to you by the Jobcenter to secure your basic needs. 

This lump sum includes costs for food, personal hygiene, clothing, household goods, household energy (electricity) and the needs of daily life (e.g. for participation in cultural and social life). Single persons, single parents and persons whose partner is a minor receive the full standard amount. 

Currently (as of 01 January 2021), people in need of assistance receive the following standard monthly benefits:

Single person or single parent446 €
Couples (each partner:in) in the BG*, if both are of age401 €
18- to 24-year-olds in the BG* of their parents357 €
14- to 17-year-olds in BG*373 €
Children from 6 to 13 years309 €
Children up to 5 years283 €
Adults in institutions (according to SGB XII)357 €

*needs group


Please have the following documents ready for the application:

  • Valid identity card or passport
  • landlord:tenant certificate (to prove the current rent and service charges)
  • Copy of your rental contract
  • Your bank statements for the last three months (without gaps)
  • If you do not have a bank account: proof that no account can be set up
  • If available: Proof of credit balances on savings accounts
  • Health insurance card
  • Pension insurance number
  • If you have children: Proof of child benefit
  • Evidence of heating costs
  • If available: Severely disabled person's pass

Certain individuals must submit the following additional documentation:

  • For foreign applicants: Passport for verification of residence status
  • For children over 16 years of age: School certificates
  • In the case of divorce and children born out of wedlock: Maintenance arrangements, evidence of advance maintenance payments.
  • If you have a car: Motor vehicle registration certificate and document for motor vehicle insurance


If you would like to apply for unemployment benefit II, please contact us by phone first. We will advise you on how to make an application - individually for your situation. 

Alternatively, you have the option of submitting a simplified application for unemployment benefit II on the website of the Federal Employment Agency. However, we recommend that you first contact us by telephone.

Tip: Filling in instructions in easily understandable German can be found in the download area.

Tip: With the "digital pilot" on the website of the Federal Employment Agency, you can check online quickly and easily whether you are entitled to unemployment benefit II.

Was this article helpful to you?